Tuesday, May 08, 2007

"Find Goldbug?"

For those of you who grew up without Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go, I must say are really missing out. If you take the time to actually read the book, it has a fun story, not to mention all of the interesting and wild kinds of cars, vehicles, people, animals and everything else that's included. But to me, all that was important was Goldbug. My brother and I grew up racing threw the book to find the elusive "Goldbug." Of course my brother was older and always seemed to win, unless my mom purposely put her thumb over Goldbug until I realized which page we were on so I could beat him to the punch.

After it was all said and done, we basically memorized every position, car, truck and pickle that Goldbug was in on each page.

Now we have introduced Goldbug to Avery. My mom knew how much fun we had with the book, so she purchased it for Avery last Christmas. The first time I cracked the binding of the new book, I wondered if I could still find Goldbug. With the turn of each page, memories rushed over me, and I found myself racing to find Goldbug. I shared the excitement with Avery, but for some reason she did not get into it like I did.

Until recently....

...I am now the proud mother of a daughter who can flip through the first six pages of Cars and Trucks and Things That Go and immediately find Goldbug. Let me tell you, he's not easy to find. On many pages, all you see are his eyes and antenae. And she can find him. Ah; I'm so proud.

Last night, she read "Goldbug" with her daddy, and I must say I enjoyed watching them race to find him together. Avery beat him for the most part. On the pages she has not yet memorized, if you tell her what color car he's in, she finds him soon after. (Kenny can too after a little searching.)

It's now one of her favorite things to do, and I hear her say often, "Fine Goltbug?" while dragging the large, purple book my way...."wae's Goltbug?" she says...then, "Der he is!"

So, if you're ever in our neck of the woods, drop by to see if you can find Goldbug.








Can you find Goldbug? Avery Can!

11 comments:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

I need to get AIden some of these

JSM said...

This is the best book ever! I made my Mom keep our book at home and play it with my niece when we're in Canada!

Kenny Simpson said...

She likes to get it out every night now.

Lerra said...

What? I've never read this book. I used to watch The Busy World of Richard Scarry when I babysat in junior high, though. Does that count?

Kat Simpson said...

Cool! Love the story . . . . NonaKat

Unknown said...

WHERE CAN YOU BUY THE BOOKS NOW?

i LOVED THESE BOOKS WHEN I WAS LITTLE!

Unknown said...

This was my favourite book as a kid and I just read it to my son (4) tonight. I'd forgotten how fabulous all the novelty cars are! I'd also forgotten how long the book is, even without looking for Goldbug, which is why bedtime was late. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my god I had this book when I was young, I loved it do much!! I'm not sure what happened to it but I think I need to get it again! Looking at those pictures brings back so many memories!

Kathy said...

Thisbook was a favorite of all 3 of our children. They have delightedly itroduced Goldbug to their kids, our grandkids. When our son sadly died at 35, 3 years ago, we moved to his commuity to be near his family. We had a paving stone put in front of our library in his memory, for his children . It says: "Jesse Zinn - He always let us find Goldbug!" Kathy & Joe Zinn

Star Lawrence said...

We always looked for Lowly Worm and when my daughter spotted him, I had to sing a little song she made up. I never knew about the Goldbug.

Unknown said...

One of the funniest things I ever saw was watching my oldest son, 18, paging through Cars and Trucks and Things that Go for the first time, with his baby brother, not quite two years old. David would attempt to turn a page and Martin would slide his hand under the turning page and touch the Goldbug, saying 'Da!' before the page was fully turned.
I give this book to all my family members when their babies turn two. It never fails to make a hit.